Our life is made up of different experiences and situations collected over the years. These experiences can be a vital learning or a pleasant memory, however, our experiences can become part of a painful past. This past can be the memory of a bump in our life, an event where we were hurt or a mistake that we made and that we are not able to forgive ourselves. Although we must accept our past events, it is not advisable to get stuck in them. To be able to move on with our life, be happy and leave behind bad memories, it is essential Forget the past and live the present.
The here and now is full of opportunities that we cannot leave behind because we are anchored in a painful past. If you want to get the best tools to leave the past behind, we recommend that you continue reading this Psychology-Online article.
- Can you forget the past?
- How to forget the past and be happy
- Forget the painful past
- Learn to live in the present
- 10 phrases to leave the past behind and be happy
Can you forget the past?
At times, we can feel that many memories will haunt us throughout our lives, that we cannot get rid of them and they will be a continuous burden, it is important to know that this is not certain. We can't forget the past completely yet We can prevent those memories from continuing to affect our day to day.
Fighting so that our memories do not torture us is not an easy task, for move on and stop thinking about the painful past you have to overcome it. To do this, you will have to do an exercise that involves accepting the experiences without judging them. Not only that, we will also have to learn to forgive those we consider to have hurt us and stop being spiteful.
We can also express our feelings to another trusted person, who can give us a new point of view of the situation and, perhaps, help us to take a better perspective of the affair.
How to forget the past and be happy.
In order to forget the past and live in the present, it will be necessary to follow certain steps and learn new coping strategies:
- Hold the memory: repressing experienced events is not a good strategy. In this way, we only block the feelings that this memory generates in us and, if we do not manage them correctly, those bad feelings will remain in our unconscious. The first step in forgetting the past is, oddly enough, to remember it.
- It is important do not judge what happened. Putting the "bad" label on a memory will cause us to modify it and see it even worse than it really was. To leave it behind, it will be necessary to hold it, appreciate it, remember it and not judge it.
- Forgive ourselves and those involved in bad memories: once we have calmly analyzed the past and see that, really, there is nothing that should take away our sleep, we will have to do the exercise of forgiveness. This exercise is based on leaving behind hatred towards what happened in the past, stop carrying the responsibility of the experienced or, on the contrary, stop burdening others with said I remember. If what we really want is to be happy, guilt is a useful drag.
- Once the past is overcome, it is time to move on. Focusing our perspective on personal growth and on caring for our loved ones is a very important step in starting to live in the present.
- Enjoy the good experiences: Once we have learned to live in the present, it will be easy for us to focus on the positive emotions. This exercise will help us form a system of optimistic beliefs and ideas and will provide us with better coping strategies for new life bumps.
Learning to apply all these strategies on a day-to-day basis is a very important step on our way. towards happiness, learning to leave the past behind implies maturity, the ability to excel and good strategies of resilience.
Forget the painful past.
The past can be a bad drink in our life, something that we do not want to experience again but that, nevertheless, we cannot stop remembering. The more painful the past, the more difficult it is to deal with. These experiences can leave a huge scar that moderates our temperament and changes our way of relating to others. If memories constantly haunt us and we cannot do anything to leave them behind, it is advisable go to a specialist psychologist to provide us with tools and coping strategies.
However, it is important to mention that each person has their own personal growth process, each individual learns to leave the past behind at their own pace and in his own way. Nor is it necessary to whip ourselves for not being able to forget the painful past if it is not generating great traumas in our day to day life. We must take our time and develop coping strategies at our own pace.
Learn to live in the present.
Once we have managed to leave the past behind, it is time to learn to live life in the spotlight of the present. Since we are no longer anchored to past events or events, we can focus on what concerns us in the here and now. We can propose small short-term objectives to see how we are able to overcome them, This new lifestyle can lead to high self-esteem and learning strategies for resilience.
The future is uncertain and the past something that we cannot change. Once these facts are accepted, we can make our lives based on them, living in the present, enjoying the opportunities that life offers us and overcoming the challenges that life offers us. Not everything will be easy, however, we can always learn from bad experiences.
10 phrases to leave the past behind and be happy.
- Giving freedom to others, which is letting go, we regain our freedom. - Aleksandra Ninkovic
- Everything happens for a reason. - Bob Marley
- Keep what you have, forget what hurts you, fight for what you want, value what you possess, forgive those who hurt you, and enjoy those who love you.- Bob Marley
- It is useless to go back to what has been and is no longer. - Frederic Chopin
- The art of living involves knowing when to hold on and when to let go. - Havelock Ellis
- Nothing is lost if you have the courage to proclaim that all is lost and you have to start over. - Julio Cortazar
- The pain will leave you when you let go. - Jeremy Aldana
- It is necessary to dream, but with the condition of believing in our dreams. To carefully examine real life, to confront our observation with our dreams, and to scrupulously carry out our fantasy. - Lenin
- I realized that there is something incredibly honest about trees in winter; how adept at letting things go. - Jeffrey McDaniel
- When I let go of what I am, I become what I could be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need. - Lao Tzu
This article is merely informative, in Psychology-Online we do not have the power to make a diagnosis or recommend a treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.
If you want to read more articles similar to Forget the past and live the present, we recommend that you enter our category of Personal growth and self-help.