Falling in love is considered one of the most beautiful phases in any relationship. It is said that you are as old as you are, you are a teenager again when you fall in love because you act like so moved by the feeling of happiness that you create by being with the person to whom you process said love.
Before approaching the following article, we want to point out that an exact duration cannot be determined in love or in any of its phases, therefore, the personality of each of the people and the characteristics of the relationship will influence are.
Therefore, from Psychology-Online we are going to explain what is falling in love and how long does the stage of falling in love last according to psychology.
- What is falling in love according to psychology
- How long does the effect of infatuation last according to science
- Phases of infatuation
- How long does the infatuation between lovers last?
- How long the unrequited infatuation lasts
- How long does the love affair last?
What is falling in love according to psychology.
Psychology describes falling in love as the first phase of love relationships. It is indicated as the most intense phase, where individuals experience their emotions towards the other person in a stronger way.
Falling in love is considered a chemical reaction that produces a feeling of pleasure before a certain person. The most characteristic of this phase is the idealization of the other person and the desire to be close to her.
How long does the effect of infatuation last according to science.
In order to determine the duration of the infatuation, science has made use of a biological basis since that, it has been observed that, throughout this phase, people undergo a series of changes in their organism.
These changes usually have a maximum duration of two to three years and, it is from this moment, when our The body returns to its normal function, that is, to stop producing so intensely that hormone known as the love hormone.
The most common is that the infatuation lasts a few months. Although it can last from weeks to years. However, it must be borne in mind that falling in love does not have a specific duration and that each individual is completely different. Psychologically, how long does falling in love last? We could say that about 10 months.
Phases of infatuation.
Infatuation tends to break down into phases, according to experts. Let's see the five stages of falling in love:
- 1st phase: sexual attraction.
- 2nd phase: hypervaluation.
- 3rd phase: appropriation of the other.
- 4th phase: reciprocity in falling in love.
- 5th phase: end of infatuation.
In the following article you will find explained each of the phases of infatuation, as well as the stages and phases of a relationship.
How long the infatuation between lovers lasts.
Falling in love in this type of situation is really complicated because, in many cases, it is not an emotional bond as such between the two lovers, but rather a sexual and passionate bond. Lovers look for qualities in the other person which they lack in their partner, so their entire relationship is based on a falling in love with those idealized and exalted qualities.
The infatuation in lovers can be considered of the same duration than a normal infatuation, since it is the biological changes produced by the hormones of love that that incite to maintain that relationship since, the sensations produced by these are pleasant and pleasurable.
Here you can see the feelings an unfaithful person experiences.
How long the unrequited infatuation lasts.
Again, it is worth emphasizing individual differences when determining the duration of this type of infatuation, since there are people with a higher level of resilience and improvement than others, so it will be easier for the former to accept that no correspondence.
Within this unrequited infatuation, five different stages could be classified through which it has to pass a person before accepting and completely overcoming this unpleasant situation for how unrequited love is.
- Idealization of that love: the individual is not aware that love is not yet reciprocated so the person is unconsciously idealized and overvalued. This occurs in the 2nd phase of falling in love in general.
- Live a one-sided loveWhile the person in love struggles to obtain that desired relationship, the person not in love does not get involved. However, since the idealization about it is still maintained, excuses are sought to explain such behavior.
- Recognize unrequited love: after a while fighting, the person realizes that she is in a one-sided love, an unrequited love. That is why she decides to get away from the person for whom she feels that love.
- Forget an unrequited love: It is not an easy or simple stage because, one thing is to decide to get away from that person and another to maintain that decision. We must avoid by all means having relapses so it is convenient for a while to put a distance between you.
- Living with an unrequited love: As much as it is forgotten, it is not surprising that our mind reminds us of the sensations we experienced in front of the person with whom we were in love. However, we have to learn to live with it and accept reality of not having been reciprocated. Only then can we overcome that infatuation. Here you can find information about how to accept that someone does not love you.
How long the falling in love at a distance lasts.
Living a long-distance crush can be really complicated, however, keep in mind that, in Nowadays, thanks to new technologies, this can be made easier since there is no loss of contact.
It is considered that falling in love at a distance has a shorter duration to any other type of infatuation, since this phase starts from the premise of a physical attraction and idealization towards another person. And, that is why developing such feelings towards a person whom you have no opportunity to see is more difficult.
If the couple is in the infatuation phase and later distances themselves, they have more chances of your relationship moving into the next phase as you have already begun to create certain links between the two.
But if, on the contrary, it is a relationship where people have met through a page of Internet, it is possible that, despite affirming that they are in love, they do not feel any attraction the first time they see each other in person. Which will break any idea of infatuation.
On the other hand, it may also be that the distance makes the idealization last longer in time, as there is no coexistence. It may be that the infatuation phase lasts longer when the relationship is at a distance. If this is your case, you may be interested in knowing some tips for maintaining a long-distance relationship.
This article is merely informative, in Psychology-Online we do not have the power to make a diagnosis or recommend a treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.
If you want to read more articles similar to How long does falling in love last according to psychology, we recommend that you enter our category of Feelings.
- Figueroba, A. What is it to be in love? The Chemistry of Love Oxytocin, dopamine, and other hormones and neurotransmitters are the keys to falling in love.
- Montañés, M. C., & Iñiguez, C. G. (2002). Social emotions: infatuation, jealousy, envy and empathy.
- Mora Montes, J. M. (2007). Understanding of falling in love. Cauriensia, Vol. II (2007) 363-388.